Thursday, September 18, 2014

Be Still...yeah, right!

Well, I am finding it pretty ironic that last weekend I spoke for a women's conference on the theme "Pressing On...in the Midst of Whatever We Are in the Midst of" in NC, and this weekend for a women's conference in VA with the theme "Be Still."  Could they be anymore different?  The LAST thing I feel like I am doing right now is being still.  I am meeting myself coming and going.  Don't you feel that way most days?  Last Thurs.-Sun. I was "on the road" sharing 5 ministry presentations in the beautiful state of NC.  Today I sang/spoke for a church in town, and leave again tomorrow to head to VA and TN this weekend, again with 5 more ministry presentations ahead of me.  During the week I run the ministry office along with my assistant/Schedule Coordinator Jennifer Dale, whom I would be lost without, while also teaching 17 piano/voice lessons on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Then of course there is the preparing/writing/studying for each ministry event.  Oh, and laundry, groceries, bills, Zumba, college kids...Be still...the dictionary says it means "not moving or making a sound...deep silence and calm...even."  What I am learning, however, in the midst of non-stop activity is this...we can STILL be still in the midst of the daily demands of our lives, the necessary work that we must take care of.  Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God."
My kitten Zoey reminds me of myself, as she runs from one end of the house to the other, jumping from furniture to counter to my lap.  Yet there are those times when she is completely still, before it starts all over again.  Last night she snuggled up on my lap for almost 45 minutes sleeping soundly.  She is busy about the business of being a kitten, but she is also very serious about when it is time to rest.




And so it must be for you and me...we need to keep a "still"
mentality before the Lord in all that we are setting out to accomplish, knowing that He is God of it all.  Being...not doing.  A state of mind.  And in that knowledge, we can have a deep sense of calm, trusting He has got this.  All of it.  Now, back to packing and preparing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment