Friday, September 5, 2014

Zoey

I love how God is so intricately involved in our lives.  He even cares about little things like kittens.  This past summer was a first for me...the first time neither of my children would be home for summer break.  Hannah stayed in Clemson to do summer school and work.  Ross was living with his dad and preparing to move out and start college. It felt like the summer that never was.  And in the midst of it, personal heartache due to circumstances that have now dragged on for much longer than I had ever imagined, our beloved cat/family member of 10 years Skunk passed away.  And all that was left was our 10-year-old dog Cookie and me. 
 
So the very next week, I went to get a kitten.  I fell in love with one, but by the time I went back to get her, she was gone.  And then I saw this tiny, pitiful 6-week-old black and white kitten, born in the wild, blind for the first 6 weeks of her life, temporarily named "Hope" by the adoption agency.  I felt she needed me, and brought her home.  Now her name is Zoey, which means "life."  She is a bundle of energy at 5 months old.  In the midst of the beginning of this single mama's empty nest season, on top of a personal situation that threatens to knock the very wind out of me most days, oh what life this little girl has brought into my home.  Cookie is smitten, as am I.  She is into EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING from my shower, to my coffee cup, to the pantry, to my bubble baths, to the refrigerator, to the dishwasher, on top of my desk, to riding the Swiffer!  Oh how fun it is to laugh and love all over again with this little gift from God in the midst of my empty home and heart on many days.  Jesus came, "that they may have life and have it to the full." (John 10:10)  How grateful I am that He saw me right where I was and sent me new life in the form of a precious kitten that I thought I was rescuing, but who has actually rescued me in so many ways.  God knew.  And He knows right you are today, as well, my friend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment